This article is part of our Frozen Fantasy series.
2020 has gotten off to a rough start. I'm not talking hockey; it's the rest of the world that's seen too many bad things. I won't list them. You know them all.
At least there's Ovie.
He's been a great escape from all that's bad. Friday night was no different.
Two goals. They put him past Mark Messier into eighth on the all-time list. And Sens' fans stood and roared.
That's class. For a class act.
The Great 8's January has been a month for the ages. And like I said, a welcome distraction. In case you missed it:
- 13 goals in 10 games, tops in the NHL last month
- 11 of those goals came on a five-game streak to end the month
- Back-to-back hatties for the third time in his career (only two others have ever done that and just two – Ovie and Wayne Gretzky – have done it in the last 98 years)
- Three straight multi-goal games
- 15 points in January, good for fifth in the NHL
- First Star (NHL) for the month
And Ovie passed four Hall-of-Famers on the all-time goals list in the process. Next up, Mike Gartner – he needs 13 to get to that Capital's 708.
And seventh-most in history.
Three more goals means he will have 11 seasons with at least 40 goals – only Gretzky (12) has done it before. In fact, Ovechkin is on track to be the second-fastest player ever to hit 700 goals.
He has 695.